LibreOffice Writer does not detect spelling errors. Misspelled words are not underlined in red and manually running spell check finds no errors.
By default, the Canadian language doesn’t have a dictionary associated with it. What gives, eh?
Here are two ways to solve this problem.
1. You can change Writer to use another variant of English (USA, UK, Australia) that includes spell check:
- Tools -> Options
- Language Settings -> Languages
- Under Default Languages for Documents, select an English with the “ABC” image beside it
2. OR – Install the Canadian version of the spell checker:
- sudo apt-get install hunspell-en-ca
- Restart LibreOffice